WINTER PARK HIGH SCHOOL CLASS OF 1964-65
The Class of 65 Celebrates its 50th Reunion!
To All WPHS 1965 Graduates
The week-end of March 6th – 8th 2015 we will be celebrating WPHS CLASS of ‘65 50th Reunion and we want you to be a part of it! The official RSVP form is included at the end of this newsletter. The committee has made some important changes to the weekend so please read carefully.
WPHS 50th Reunion
- On Friday night, March 6th, at 6:30pm, we will gather at the Winter Park Woman’s Club, located across the street from the new Alfond Inn and All Saints Episcopal Church on Interlachen Ave. for a “Meet and Greet Party." We will offer hors d’ouevres and a light fare buffet to allow you to stay and enjoy our surprise entertainment that will be a blast from the past. There will also be beer, wine, soft drinks and water available with a donation basket to cover the cost. Let’s go back in time and enjoy entertainment from some of our very own classmates. Also, we are inviting all of our artistic classmates from the Class of 65 to participate in the WPHS “Artists’ Display.” Please indicate on the reservation form if you are interested in participating. Attire is very casual (even jeans are okay).
- On Saturday morning March 7th, we will meet on the SENIOR sidewalk of the old Winter Park High School at 10:00 o’clock for a tour given by the architect of the new renovations. The architect is none other than the son of our classmate, Suzanne Johns Smith. We will have a walk down memory lane at least one more time. After the tour, we encourage you to hook up with old classmates and have lunch and a stroll down Park Avenue, enjoy some of the cultural opportunities in Winter Park, or take a nap so you can stay up past 9:00 for our Saturday night affair.
- Saturday Golf Tournament: Coordinated by Jack Buhrow.
- The Saturday Night Dinner and Dance, March 7th, will be at the Winter Park Racquet Club, at 6:30, with a buffet dinner served at 7:30. We have booked “The Amigo Brothers” band again so come prepared to dance the night away with music from the 60’s. There will be tickets sold for a full cash bar. Attire will be dressy casual.
- Hotel Information:
- If you feel like really splurging, the nicest and closest hotel is the The Alfond Inn (407-998-8090 – site of the old Langford Hotel) 300 East New England Ave. Rooms are around $300 a night.
- Another upscale and close hotel is The Park Plaza Hotel at 307 S. Park Avenue (407-647-1072) with rooms starting at $149 a night. The rooms are lovely and include a complimentary breakfast but we recommend avoiding the rooms on the back side of the hotel as the train passes close by. They are holding a block of rooms until January 9th but no discount is available.
- The third choice is The Comfort Inn & Suites, 2416 N. Orange Ave., Orlando, FL (407-228-4007) - where they are giving us a discounted rate of $90.00 a night. The rooms are very nice and include a continental breakfast (and are close to the hospital if you party too much!). To get your discount make your reservation under WPHS Class of 65. They are holding a block of 15 rooms for us until Feb. 5th, but I would recommend booking early so we can increase the number of rooms in the block if we need to. The same is true for the Park Plaza. You can check all the hotels out on the web.
- Remember you can also follow us on Facebook: WP Sixty-five and the Web: www.wphs1965.com.
- RSVP: Even if you replied with a tentative RSVP, please respond to this one so we will have an exact number and a budget to work from. We apologize that we are not able to keep the cost the same as last time but everything has gone up in price and we can’t risk not having enough money to cover our costs. Now that we have booked everything and in checking with people from recent reunions we have decided that we will need to charge $100.00 per person to include the costs of the Racquet Club, food for both nights, Saturday night music, gratuities, printing, mailing, decorations, etc.
Please print, complete, and mail the 50th Reunion RSVP form to:
4044 Tenita Dr.
Winter Park, FL 32792.
- Reunion Committee Chairs:
- Organizers: Jack Buhrow (firstname.lastname@example.org), Kris Kane Crosby (email@example.com), and Lucile Hudson Rom (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Consultants: Bob Milstead (email@example.com)
and Sue Gibson Price (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Treasurer: Bob Milstead (email@example.com)
- Facebook Page: Bob Crowell (Facebook, Wp Sixty-five)
- Web Page: Karen Starr Wilson (firstname.lastname@example.org) (www.wphs1965.com)
- In Memory Of: Louise Ihrig Rottinghaus (email@example.com)
- Decorations: Suzanne Johns Smith (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Golf Tournament: Jack Buhrow (email@example.com)
Please contact your friends from High School and encourage them to attend, if they did not receive this email it is because we do not have email information on them, so please forward to them.
Come on Class of 65 Wildcats, mark your calendars and come ready to party!!!